CASE STUDY: BMC Software
The well documented BMC agile transformation (see below) is where many of us (me, Ryan Martens, Jean Tabaka, Michelle Sleiger, Stacia Viscardi and others) “cut our eye teeth” on agile at scale. It was a part of the genesis of my book Scaling Software Agility, and we see elements of it in the framework as a codification of what worked there. Even more importantly, BMC got results, as the following summary indicates.
- More responsive to market changes and customer demands.
- Development teams more engaged, empowered
- Productivity up 20-50%
- Significantly improved Product Management-Development teamwork
- Higher returns, reduced investments in unfinished or unshipped work
For more (much more!) on this case study, see the following:
- There is a comprehensive set of blog posts from the ScalingSoftwareAgilityblog.com site here.
- The original case study can be downloaded from here.
- BMC was rigorous about actually measuring the benefits of agility at scale, and the QSM Associates report is here.
- Israel Gat, the executive who sponsored this transformation, provides his executive perspective in an interview here.